Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Ok, so here I am on the big ol rock!

I arrived with little fanfare over here in St. John's, although a half hour late. The flight wasn't terrible, but they really couldn't seem to get their act together over there in Halifax. First their computers were down (eek!) and then their baggage carrousels weren't working, which made me spend the entire flight over worried that my baggage wasn't going to make it. It did though, and I felt altogether mature and accomplished as I made my way out of the airport by my lonesome and flagged a cabbie to make it to MUN. Then I tried to track down my proctor so I could get my room keys. Ummmm, yeah, leaving a "gone, be back later, give my cell a ring" note on your door when people are schedule to come get their keys from you, not so impressive. Luckily I had my cell phone, so I could call the guy. Got to my room, only one person there, my Chinese nursing student roommate, who is cute, but after she said hello, smiled, and offered me a biscuit (cookie) she went directly into her room again and closed her door. I guess that's just her thing, she's a bit on the timid side.
My room: super tiny. It's basically twice as wide as a twin bed, and a bit on the end for the closet part. I suppose it's a good thing since I don't have much stuff, but it seems sooooo bare right now. I immediately felt like crying because my room is so cozy and roomy at home, and I left it behind. But I didn't, so I grabbed my bag, called a cab, and took off to walmart to spend way too much money on stuff like sheets and food. When I came home, I met my other two roommates, one from truro, the other from St Anthony, Nfl. I love my Nfl roommate, she's awesome! She's in arts and her dad's a fisherman, and she's sweet and talkative. The one from Truro, not so much. Barely a peep, heads off with her boyfriend into her room, and doesn't want to have any part of the conversation about splitting things like a microwave or tv. (Yeah, that's right, no microwave or tv. I may die.) See, she's done that before, she's in her fourth year and not into sharing, and if she needs any of that, she'll go to her boyfriends room. Ok, whatever lady. I head off to bed around 12, sooo glad that I brought my dvd player, and fall asleep before I'm halfway through one episode of family guy. Thank you Nathan.
I get up the next morning, and boot'er across campus to make it to the bus. I latch on to the first boy I see waiting outside the student center, and luckily for me, he's headed to the MI too. He advises me not to take the bus I was going to take, and I jump on the one he's going on. Nice guy, his friend jumps on at the next stop, and I feel like I'm not so alone in the world. Then we get off and go in opposite directions, and I feel totally alone again. Lots of guys running around in Navy uniforms, I felt tooootaly in the wrong place. Then I found out that it was because they had a little orientation meeting in the room just before we were scheduled to have ours, so I waited it out, then all the advanced diploma students went in. Sweet, there were like 40 of us altogether, and I immediately made a friend named Lhea. Unfortunately after the meeting, we split up into our respective degree groups, and she isn't taking water quality.
Get this, my big ol' group? Yeah, there's 4 of us all together. 4. That's it. All of my classes all year will just have four people in it. Rock. I totally can't get caught slacking. Then I found out that I'm a grad student!!! That's fun! I figured I had to be doing my masters or phd, but nope, I'm totally a grad student! So says MUN anyway, so I get the perks! We have our own lounge and computer lab, and other students don't get to use them,which is a waste, because they're kind of nice. But I also don't have to pay for printing, which is super awesome! Did the class thing, ate the lunch, talked about going to a water quality conference in NB, and then got my MUN student ID.
Then I hopped a bus and went to the Mall. Pretty sweet mall. Has absolutely everything. gap and AE included. Phew. I'm wiped. Now I'm off to explore more of the campus, including the pool!!!! Yay, more to come later! pics will be posted when I get my computer, and you'll get to meet my duck friends.

No comments: