Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thanksgiving by my Onezies
Today I took myself out for thanksgiving dinner. I put myself on the required buses and got myself up to the only Swiss chalet that I've seen here (apparently there are more than one, I wasn't going to push it). Had myself the lovely special, enjoyed and finished my lovely book, and had a very nice waiter who seemed to understand that I wasn't having a pity party for thanksgiving away from family, I was just there to have some nice chicken, and he was very attentive and kept calling me "my love" (it's a NFL thing). As I was sitting there, munching away and being thankful for Douglas Adams, I couldn't help but be distracted by the shrieking banshee who had landed her ass at the table across from mine. The woman went into long detail about how one should never trust supermarkets, everyone should always by straight from the farmers fields, how restaurants only serve heavily processed and preserved foods followed by a shrill "What do you mean strawberries aren't in season!! When I order strawberry desert, I expect them to be fresh!!" to the poor waitress trying her best to accommodate the hag. She went on to bitch about tipping waiters and waitresses, and how the customer should not be expected to pay more for service, that the restaurant should absorb the cost, or that the government should compensate for it because the waitstaff don't get taxed on it, and how unfair it all was. She then started a snarky running commentary to who I can only assume was her sister about how ill behaved her children were and chiding then for not being more demure, blaming it on her sister not making them get enough sleep. The kids weren't little angels, but they certainly weren't bothering anyone else, telling each other jokes and giggling, then coloring their placemats.

After they left, calm and pleasantness returned to our section of the restaurant, and all I could wonder was what had happened to that woman to make her quite so angry and bitter about life on the whole. Whatever it was, I'd really like to avoid it, I think the stress of being that negative about everything would be simply exhausting.

No comments: